Diving and Water Sports on Roatan
Arguably, there may not be a better place in the Western Hemisphere for Diving and Water Sports then Roatan. It really does not get much better than Roatan-diving-snorkeling (Plus a lot more “Things to do”).
Roatan is surrounded by coral reef and in many instances, is just a matter of feet from the shoreline. This reef is part of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the second largest barrier reef in the world. The Mesoamerican Barrier Reef runs for over 600 miles from Mexico to Panama, with the Bay Islands land masses that are surrounded by it.
Although there are dozens of dive sites on the coral reef that surrounds the island here are some of the most popular scuba diving and snorkeling locations on Roatan:
- The Odyssey scuba diving – popular dive wreck with many varieties of fish.
- The Western point scuba diving – excellent wall diving off the western point of the island with a large amount of fish and a healthy reef.
- West End Wall scuba diving – considered by many to be one of the best diving areas in Roatan.
- Hole in the Wall scuba diving – an amazing location not to miss. The site is named for a sand chute tunnel through a reef wall.
- West Bay snorkeling – some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean. Beautiful beach enters into an amazing reef that is right off the shore.
- Coco View Resort snorkeling – Nice coral and huge schools of fish right off the wall.
This spectacular and diverse ecosystem on Roatan is found very close to shore. Therefore it offers some of the best scuba diving and snorkeling in the world. With hundreds of dive sites, the eco systems changes many times offering different sea life, coral structures and types. This, all within short distances on different areas of the island.
Thousands of species of sea life is found including gentle giants like Whale Sharks. Dolphins are commonly seen near the shore and can be experiences in various excursions for visitors.